The first day of school will quickly be upon us and it can create stressful feelings in both parents and kids. I always feel it is better to be proactive rather than reactive, so here on some ideas on easing the transition back into school:
1. Take the mystery out of the first day of school. If your child is attending a new school make sure they are familiar with the school. Take them on campus, show them their classroom, bathroom locations, administration offices and where drop off/pick up is. This can help ease any anxiety your child may have about how they will navigate their new surroundings. Many school’s also have a ‘meet and greet’ with the teachers a week before school. I encourage you to attend these with your children so you can both meet their teacher and see their classroom.
2. Stock up on supplies! With all the budget cuts in the schools it has left classroom supplies very limited. Be sure your child is stocked up on supplies appropriate to their grade level. This can also build some excitement in your children as they prepare their backpacks with fresh paper, binders, crayons and pencils. Also be sure you have a meal plan prepared. If your child will eat a hot lunch be sure they have money on their school account or stock your fridge with some of their favorite lunch items for cold lunch.Disney Family Fun offers some fun and fresh ideas for your kid’s lunches and snacks.
3. Start the school routine early. Summer vacation can throw kid’s schedules off in a big way. As a parent I am often guilty of letting my kids stay up later during the summer time, causing my kids to go to bed later and have a hard time waking up in the mornings. One or two weeks before school starts begin to implement their school week schedule. Have your kids go to bed and wake up during their school hours so the first week of school isn’t a shock to their system.
4. Keep the learning experience strong, year around. Summer learning loss occurs when kids do not engage in educational experiences throughout the summer.A recent segment on the Today show stated that kids can lose approximately 2.6 months of their grade level during the summer months. This can cause kids to feel very frustrated when school starts again and make homework a battle. With fun summer activities it can be hard to coax your kids into traditional learning activities, so make them fun! Many video games or phone’s now have educational apps or programs kids can benefit from. You can also engage them in outdoor learning activities so kids don’t have to choose between the outdoors or brushing up on their skills.
5. Keep an open dialogue going with your kids and the school. As the school year begins talk to your kids about what they like about school and what they dislike. It is normal that your child isn’t going to love everything about school. Build on the good points to keep your child motivated. If there are ongoing concerns be sure to communicate with your child’s teacher to see if education services such as tutoring or an IEP is needed. Parents and teachers both want their kids to succeed so work together, not against each other.
So take a deep breath and put on a smile. Transitions can be bumpy but with the proper tools and right attitude, you and your child can make the transition back into school as smooth as possible and set the stage for a great school year.
For daily updates on news, information and more on health care and wellness, join avecinia wellness center’s facebook page (facebook.com/avecinia) and follow avecinia on twitter (twitter.com/avecinia4health). avecinia wellness center is Fresno’s premier integrative medicine and wellness center. We combine internal medicine and primary care with health management, weight management, acupuncture, aesthetics (Botox, Juvederm, Radiesse, Obagi and more) and massage therapy for a holistic approach to health. We use a robust electronic health record program and patient web portal to enhance our delivery of services and to help our patients reach their optimal well-being. To learn more, visit www.avecinia.com. If you are looking for a primary care doctor in Fresno or the Central Valley and would like to become a part of the avecinia family, visit our website and click on new patient registration. Let Dr. Unaiza Hayat and/or Ali Kunkel, MPA, PA-C, become your trusted guides. Our Aesthetic, Weight Management, Acupuncture, Health Management and Massage Therapy services do not require us to be your primary care physician. Learn more at www.avecinia.com We look forward to meeting you!